some great and helpful tips
- Punch (yellow encoder on mixer page): this is the most important. To my hobbyist ears, it seems to both set the threshold and the release, but I’m not sure. Note: it seems to take a second to apply changes to this value.
- Master Drive (Blue encoder on Master track): seems to add saturation and makeup gain.
- Increase Punch at least a bit
- Increase synth group gain (blue encoder on mixer) until it’s just triggering the punch/compressor, which is shown when the yellow encoder’s LED slightly turns blue while the sequencer is running
- Increase drum group gain until the kick and/or snare are running into the compressor, creating that sidechain-like sound
- Make small adjustments to Punch, Synth group gain, and Drum group gain until it fits the song
- Adjust Master track drive for each section of the song according to how “full” or saturated I want it to sound to be.